Call Now 615-796-6299


Bail/Bond: What is it and how does it work?

Posted by David L. Clarke | Jun 04, 2015 | 0 Comments

The terms bond and bail both mean the amount of money a court requires from the criminal defendant in order to release him/her from jail. These terms are often used interchangeably in most areas of Tennessee. Unless the defendant is charged with a capital crime, every Tennessee criminal defendant is allowed to have a bond/bail set in his/her specific case.

Following are ways bonds can be posted:

  • In full to the court (referred to as a “cash bond”);
  • Through a bonding company (requiring 10% of the bond, plus a processing fee paid to the bondsman);
  • Posting a property bond.

In Tennessee, bonds are posted to promise that the criminal defendant will appear in court on his/her court date(s). At the conclusion of the criminal case, the bond may be refunded if the defendant obeyed the terms of the bond and appeared as required on every court date. The ramifications of missing a court date is that the posted bond funds may not be refunded to the person who posted the bond on the criminal defendant's behalf. If the bond is posted through a bonding company, the 10% of the bond and the processing fee paid is not refundable.

About the Author

David L. Clarke

As a Murfreesboro attorney, I handle criminal defense cases, personal injury cases, and divorce/child custody cases. I realize that when someone hires me for one these legal issues, they are going through one of the toughest times in their lives. When hired on your case, I will meet with you as o...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Comments have been disabled.

Contact The Clarke Law Firm

Through unique case solutions and aggressive representation our attorney at The Clarke Law Firm knows how to handle your case. Handling criminal defense, family law, and personal injury cases, we are fully prepared to handle any legal matter. Contact our attorney today and begin reviewing your case with our local law firm.