In Tennessee, domestic violence, also known as domestic assault, is defined as an offense against a family or household member that involves inflicting bodily injury, causing fear of bodily injury, or physical contact of a provocative or offensive nature. According to Tennessee Code Annotated § 39-13-111, domestic violence can include physical harm, fear of physical harm, and more subtle forms of control and abuse.
Victims of domestic violence in Tennessee have the right to seek protection through various orders. These include:
1. Order of Protection: This is a court order that prohibits the abuser from coming into contact with the victim. It can be obtained through your local county courthouse.
2. Restraining Order: Similar to an order of protection but often used in divorce proceedings.
3. Temporary Protective Order: A short-term measure that provides immediate protection before a formal hearing.
These protective orders can be requested at the Tennessee Courts.
Several government agencies and organizations in Tennessee provide support and resources for domestic violence victims. These include:
• Tennessee Coalition to End Domestic and Sexual Violence: Offers legal advocacy, training, and support services.
• Family Safety Center: Provides a range of services for victims, including counseling and legal advice.
• National Domestic Violence Hotline: Offers 24/7 confidential support and information at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233).
At The Clarke Law Firm, we understand the complexities and sensitivities surrounding domestic violence cases. Our commitment is to offer compassionate and effective legal representation to ensure your rights are protected and your voice is heard. Domestic violence is not only a personal issue but a legal one, and understanding your rights under Tennessee law is the first step in seeking protection and justice.
If you or someone you know is a victim of domestic violence, we encourage you to take action. Whether it’s filing for a protective order, seeking counseling, or requiring legal representation, know that there are resources available to help you through this difficult time.
For more information or to schedule a consultation, please contact Murfreesboro criminal defense attorney David Clarke at The Clarke Law Firm at (615) 796-6299. Your call is confidential, and we are here to help guide you through your legal options and support you in your journey to safety and justice.